Warrior 1 Pose
Dr.Rithika Patteti Standing Yoga Pose
Veerabhadrasana I (Warrior 1 Pose) stretches the muscles around the hips while strengthening the legs and upper arms, improving balance, and building core strength. Along with a back extension of the erector spinae muscle, you also get a good stretch for your chest, hips, and both the front and back of your thighs. Veerabhadrasana 1 is usually a part of kids yoga which the kids really enjoy. The name is a combination of the Sanskrit words 'vira', which means hero, 'Bhadra', which means friend and 'asana', which means pose. The asana is frequently referred to as "warrior pose" in English.
Steps to do Warrior 1 Pose / Veerabhadrasana I
- Stand in Tadasana.
- Right leg far back, left foot at 90 degree and right foot turned inward at 45 degrees.
- Inhale and raise both the hands over the head, ensure your torso is turned towards the left leg.
- Exhale and bend your left leg, bringing the left thigh parallel to the ground.
- Keep your torso straight, do not lean forward.
- Hold the posture with normal breath.
- Inhale and slowly come back to center.
- Exhale and relax the hands and bring your feet together.
- Repeat on the other side.
Tips for beginners
- Practising minimum 6 rounds of sun salutations will help to perfect the warrior 1 pose.
- Try to hold Adhomukhaswanasana for 10 counts while doing sun salutations.
- Practising Vrikshasana also does a lot of benefit to prepare you for Veerabhadrasana.
- Reduces stubborn fat from hips.
- Improves balance and posture.
- Enhances blood circulation in the body.
- Builds stamina, develops a sense of balance and co-ordination.
Watch out for
- If you are suffering from spinal ailments, neck, shoulder or knee pain, avoid practising this asana.
- Avoid this asana if you are suffering with high blood pressure, heart problem or vertigo.
- Veerabhadrasana II(warrior 2 pose) and Veerabhadrasana III(warrior 3 pose) are variations of the Veerabhadrasana I(warrior 1 pose).
- Veebhadrasana I(warrior 1 pose) also can be done with props like straps or blocks.