Utthan Pristhasana is an intermediate level yoga asana performed in the seated position. The name is derived from the Sanskrit words 'uttan' means 'stretch deep, 'pristha' means 'back of the body', and 'asana' means 'posture,' respectively. The Lizard pose is a great way to stretch your hamstrings, hip flexors, and quadriceps and it will also help in stretching hips, thighs, ankles and neck. Utthan Pristhasana activates the Svadisthana, the second chakra.
Steps to do Lizard Pose / Utthan Pristhasana
- Come to Plank.
- Exhale, step your left foot beside the left palm. Make sure the left foot’s toes are parallel with the fingers.
- Gently, drop the elbows, in the place of the palms. Forearms flat on the mat. Spread the palms. Elbows just below the shoulders.
- Head in a neutral position. Hold the posture for a few breaths.
- Inhale go back to plank and repeat on the other side.
Tips for beginners
- You can let your left knee drop to the mat if it's more comfortable to do so, after bringing your right foot forward. Alternately, if it feels more comfortable, you can start with your knee bent and bring it up while maintaining a level posture with your shoulders.
- If your hips are tight, consider utilising a support prop. For comfort, place a block under your forearms. Put a folded towel or mat under your back knee if it's uncomfortable.
- Try staying on your palms with your arms straight if coming down to the forearms on a block is still too intense.
- Opens up the hips, hamstrings, groin and hip flexors.
- Strengthens the inner thigh muscles.
- A gentle, slow, deep, hip opening stretch can help alleviate lower back pain or sciatica, releases tension, and prevent injury both in the yoga practice and everyday life.
Watch out for
- Avoid the Lizard Pose if you have certain medical conditions, an injury, or are recovering from surgery.
- Avoid this posture if you have a wrist or hand injury or are healing from surgery on your neck, knees, feet, hips, arms, or hands.
- Avoid intense practise, if you have heart or blood pressure issues.
- Twisted Lizard Pose: From your Lizard pose, lift your right arm and put it on the right knee, now open your right hip and get your right foot on to your heel. Once you are comfortable here, take your right hand back by twisting your body and lift your left leg up on to the knee and hold your right foot with your right hand.
- Flying Lizard Pose: From Uthan Prishtasana take your right hand inside out of your right leg, now move your both hands forward and lift your right leg up. one’s you are comfortable here, lift your left leg up.