Bharadwaja’s Twist Pose
Bodhi Yoga Seated Yoga Pose
Bharadvajasana (Bharadwaja’s Twist Pose) is an intermediate level yoga asana performed in the seated position. The name is inspired from the Sage (Rishi) “Bharadvaja”. Bharadvajasana improves complete awareness and stimulates proper digestion by promoting appropriate movements in digestive tract. By performing this pose regularly, a person can Cure constipation, bloating etc., Bharadwaja’s Twist Pose stimulates muladhara (root) and anahata (heart) chakras.
Steps to do Bharadwaja’s Twist Pose / Bharadvajasana
- Sit in Dandasana.
- Place the right foot beside the right hip as in Veerasana, fold the left leg place the left foot on the right thigh, pull it closer to the upper body.
- Twist towards your left and place the right palm on the left kneee.
- You can hold the toes of the left foot with your left hand if possible, from behind, as in the image.
- Repeat on the other side.
Tips for beginners
- Twist to the opposite side of the leg that is placed as in Veerasana.
- In case you feel you are tilting on the twisting side as your sitting bones are not firmly attached to the floor, then try to use a thick folded blanket and sit upon it.
- Stretches the spine, shoulders and hips.
- Massages the abdominal organs.
- Relieves lower back pain, neck pain and sciatica.
- Helps improve digestion.
- Therapeutic for carpal tunnel syndrome.
Watch out for
- Supine twists are safer in the beginning. Avoid jerky movements in the practice.
- Women are advised not to practice this pose during menstruation or/and pregnancy.
- Kindly avoid if experiencing High or/and low BP, Headache, Diarrhea, Insomnia.
- In case you are not able to perform this asana on the floor, take the support of the chair and n perform this asana on the chair.
- You can also use a blanket or a block underneath the leg which is held by the opposite hand, so that posture can be performed effortlessly.