Dr.Rithika Patteti Prone Yoga Pose
Vimanasana, also known as Airplane Pose, is a kids favourite asana that gives you an impression of being an airplane yourself. Spiritually, Vimanasana makes you feel peaceful and engineered internally to move away from materialistic world and advance towards spiritual journey. Vimanasana opens the shoulders and hip flexors, strengthens the legs, lengthens the spine, and is a great asana for belly fat reduction.Vimanasana can be broken down to 'Viman', meaning airplane and 'Asana' meaning Pose. Vimanasana also works on Manipura Chakra and Swadhistana Chakra.
Steps to do Airplane Pose / Vimanasana
- Lie on the stomach with your toes flat on the floor, chin resting on the ground.
- Keep your knees close together, and your feet lightly touching each other.
- Now stretch your arms beside your body.
- Take a deep breath in and now lift your chin, arms, chest, thighs and legs off the floor.
- Keep breathing while holding the pose.
Tips for beginners
- Roll one or two blankets under your thighs or knees to support yourself.
- You can take the support of the wall to place your palms with ease, so that your spine is aligned.
- If your knees rest on the mat, try to adjust the position by taking your feet closer to the pelvis.
- You can also place a blanket on the bony part of your ankles for comfort.
- Strengthens the muscles of arms, shoulders, chest, abdomen, legs and lower back.
- Tones abdomen and lower back.
Watch out for
- Avoid in the case of: Abdominal surgeries or Pregnancy.
- You can move your hands dynamically for a intense variation.
- You can also make dynamic movements forward and backward in this asana.