Alleviate thyroid with Pranayama
The thyroid may be a consequence of iodine deficiency, autoimmune diseases, genetic disorders, inflammation, etc. Furthermore, the repercussion of stress on the thyroid is vast in this day and age by decelerating the body’s metabolism.
How many types of thyroid disorders exist?
Two different types of thyroid disorders exist. They are hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.
Hypothyroidism: It is an ailment wherein the thyroid gland doesn't produce thyroid hormone, which may lead to fatigue, cold sensitivity, constipation, unexplained weight gain, etc.,
Hyperthyroidism: It is an illness wherein there is overproduction of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland. It results in rapid or irregular heartbeat, unexpected weight loss, sweating, and irritability, etc.,
Does Pranayama alleviate thyroid?
Yes. Pranayama relieves the thyroid as there is an interrelationship between the stress and thyroid. Specific yoga asanas and authentic pranayama techniques soothe stress and balance out the thyroid that is either underactive or overactive. A healthy lifestyle and Pranayama, along with the righteous medication, remain the cornerstone of thyroid management.
What are the Pranayama techniques beneficial for hyperthyroidism?
Traditional pranayama techniques such as ujjayi breathing and bhramari pranayama mitigate hyperthyroidism.
- Sit comfortably in sukhasana with your spine erect and place both hands on your knees with palms facing upwards.
- With your mouth closed, contract the throat constricting the passage.
- Now inhale, as long as possible, allowing the air to pass through the constricted region of the throat.
- After your inhalation is complete, breathe out through your nose in the same way.
- You will hear a hissing sound after few days of practice. Slight irritation in the throat initially while practicing is a normal tendency.
- Sit comfortably in sukhasana with the spine erect and close your eyes.
- Now place your index fingers on your ears right at the cartilage.
- Inhale slowly and comfortably & while exhaling, gently press your ear cartilage with your index finger while making a humming sound like a bee.
- Repeat the same technique for 3 to 4 times.
What are the Pranayama techniques advantageous for hypothyroidism?
Authentic pranayama techniques such as kapalbhati Pranayama and Nadi shodhana Pranayama alleviates the underactive thyroid disorder.
- Sit comfortably either in sukhasana or padmasana with the spine erect and close your eyes.
- Inhale slowly and comfortably and expand your lungs as much as possible, and fill in your lungs with oxygen.
- Now breathe out. As you breathe out, pull your navel back towards the spine according to your comfort and begin forceful exhalations for 20 such breaths.
- This completes one round of kapalbhati.
- Relax for few seconds with eyes closed after the first round of kapalbhati.
- Repeat it for two or more rounds.
Nadi shodhana Pranayama
- Sit comfortably in sukhasana or sidhasana and close your eyes.
- Left hand in chin mudra (Tips of the thumb and index touching, other fingers straight). Place the hand on the knee or thigh.
- Right hand in Vishnu mudra.
- Use the thumb and ring finger to control the right and left nostrils.
- Close the right nostril with the right thumb and breathe in from the left.
- After your inhalation is complete, close the left nostril with your ring finger and breathe out from the right.
- Now inhale from the right and Close the right nostril after your inhalation is complete and breathe out from the left.
- Repeat it for nine rounds.
Consistent practice of these pranayama techniques along with healthy lifestyle changes and righteous medication alleviates thyroid disorder. Take the edge off the thyroid with Bodhi yoga by practicing these miraculous pranayama techniques.